NHFF Survival Guide
Compiled by Zac Gregg, Chair of the NHFF Board of Directors
Undoubtedly the best way to do the NH Film Festival is with a downtown hotel room because the after parties last late, the movies start early, and once you start, you won’t want to miss a minute. So book now! Last year every downtown hotel room was booked by the weekend of the festival. Next you’ll want to purchase tickets or passes.
Now, if the only way to do the festival is for the weekend, then the only pass you’ll want to buy is the VIP Pass. It’s simple: VIP Admission to every NHFF event, priority seating and behind the ropes access, One Hundred Club VIP Reception: Light Brunch & Cocktails, the Stella Artois VIP Tent, early admission to all sold-out shows, need I say more? If you’re not interested in the VIP events, the All-Weekend Pass is an awesome deal at $75. They both provide access to every event every day except the VIP action. Don’t worry, you can buy an individual ticket to any event or any film block, although that would hardly be in the festival spirit.
With your tickets secured and hotels booked, the stage is now set for what will surely become your favorite weekend in Portsmouth. What exactly does every event every day mean? Well it’s too much to describe here, so here’s my list of 2010 highlights:
- Thursday is NH Night, an all-day mini festival featuring NH artists, NH actors, NH filmmakers and NH as a movie set. If you love NH you’ll these films. Watch NH’s best compete, as we award NH Film of the Year, NH Documentary of the Year, and The Van McLeod Award. Evening events hosted by Portsmouth native and nationally recognized comedian Juston McKinney.
- Friday night is the Opening Night Reception, Opening Night Film and the can’t-miss Opening Night After Party, sponsored by Absolute Vodka and held at the Portsmouth Gas Light. Who knows? You might rub elbows with a Hollywood star.
- Check out the Festival Headquarters and the Flatbread Co. Hospitality Suite at it’s new location, the new Residence Inn Marriot Harbor Events Center. Here you can pick up your tickets, the newest NHFF swag, surf the new iMacs at our Mac Edge Internet Café, and eat free pizza complimentary of Flatbread Co.
- Check out a film in the uniquely NH, Moffat Ladd House screening room.
- Saturday afternoon. The Stella Artois Beer and chowder event on the Harbour Place patios covered in Sperry Tents may prove to be the feather in NHFF’s cap. The newest event at this ultimate Portsmouth location is the event we have all been waiting for, chowder, beer and the beautiful Piscataqua river.
- Saturday night! What will the Signature Pesce Italian Kitchen After Party look like this year? Always a fusion of film and studio 54, this party is a can’t miss!
- Ahhhh Sunday Morning. The 100 Club VIP Reception after a long weekend of film and wine. This Sunday morning respite is just what the doctor orderd: free food, free drink and a view from the highest spot in downtown Portsmouth.
- Check out a workshop, a seminar or a panel discussion at our conference venue (Residence Inn) where some of the biggest Hollywood names and the brightest NH talents lend their unique views, lessons, and perspectives from the film industry.
- The most important night to some is Closing Night Ceremonies when NHFF hands out awards. We are a competitive film festival after all.
- Most of you already know our pièce de résistance, The Music Hall, which together with the city of Portsmouth is the real draw for this wonderful festival. Events and movies throughout the weekend at the finest venue in New England.